Monday, October 13, 2008

Oatmeal HA!

Thanks for that post on oatmeal Luella. Yes, oatmeal was a mainstay in our household growing up. I remember Dad being the one who cooked it most of the time. Funny how we all tend to remember things differently! I have also found ways to make my oatmeal taste better (because it is really good for you, you know). Here are my two contributions to the recipe mashup.

Oatmeals, Apples, Cinnamon, Sweetener (sugar, agave, honey, or whatever suits your taste), and Walnuts - 1/2 cup oatmeal per person to be served, cook oatmeal in the microwave (it's quicker than waiting for water to boil), then add the remaining ingredients to meet your personal flavor requirements.

Oatmeal, Walnuts and Bananas - same as above except swap out apples, and cinnamon for bananas.

3 comments:

Teddie said...

I remember sitting next to you at breakfast, Monte, so I could hand you my "hot" cereal, whatever it was that day, when Mom wasn't looking.

Luella said...

I just made my baked oatmeal this morning. I discovered that if you bake it in a deep dish, it comes out nice and moist. Of course, if you would prefer more of a cookie texture, it should be baked in a shallow dish. I don't like fruit or nuts mixed in it. Brown sugar or cinnamon are my favorite mix-ins.

Anonymous said...

I like almonds and coconut too. I think Ladawn used to mix those into her oatmeal (that's how I learned to appreciate the goodness of it!)