Monday, November 10, 2008

"Rachel Has Allergies" or "How Being Tired Changed My Life"

A week ago Sunday I called my friend Anne for some medical advice. Anne is a nurse and a mother of four, so she is an excellent resource for information. Not to mention her husband is a doctor. It's like having my own medical team on staff. So I called Anne to consult with her about Rachel. Rachel has allergies, so I just wanted to get some advice on what I should be doing. During the course of the conversation I mentioned that I have been so tired lately. I figured it was Rachel's fault, because she hadn't been sleeping as well as normal, which means I don't sleep as well either, but that had only happened a couple of days, and I had had plenty of time to catch up on my sleep, but was still so tired that all I wanted to do was sleep. Anne asked "Are you pregnant."

"Uh," I said, "I don't know that I'm not, but I don't think I am either." But there had been that one other little thing that made it a possibility, so after I finished freaking out, I decided that the next day, Monday, I would buy a pregnancy test. I did. I passed.

So I called my doctor and told them that I think I'm pregnant. They scheduled me to come in the following Thursday, which I did. (In the meantime I took the second test that was in the box on Wednesday, just to be sure. I passed again.)

So on Thursday in the doctor's office I took a third test. Turns out the first two tests were accurate. So the doctor told me that since I have 40 years of youth, and the fact that this is my first pregnancy, I am considered high risk. She referred me to an OB who got me in today.

My appointment was supposed to start at 12:50. Now I know that "supposed to" does not equal "actually does," but still, I waited for over an hour. During that time two other people who I know came into the office. I was finally brought back after 2:00 where I waited for another while in a consulting room. The doctor who came in was very nice, very helpful, and very informative.

I had an ultrasound, and I was able to hear the heartbeat of the little teeny tiny baby, and I got some pictures too.

11 comments:

Lonny Bell said...

That's awesome! I feel like an aweful cousin because I don't know all my cousin's names. Maybe I should start taking a daily regimen of ginko biloba.

The Fieldings said...

Noelle that is so wonderful! I can't tell you how happy I am for you and Jeff! So how far along are you?

Anonymous said...

Noelle,

Congratulations! We are thrilled for you.

Dad and Harriet

Malauna said...

That is some super exciting news! I'm glad you've got knowledgeable medical staff on hand to point you in the right direction.

montebateman said...

No way!!! That's so awesome! Congratulations Noelle, I'm so happy for you and Jeff!

Anonymous said...

Noelle, Congratulations!! That is so exciting and I'm very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

When you said your friend Anne, do you mean Anne Vawter?

Teddie said...

Congratulations Noelle! That's wonderful news! When the big due date?

Noelle said...

My due date is June 20. I know, it is still really early, but what can I say? I can't keep a secret for very long.

Shanda said...

Noelle that is truly the best news I've heard all day! You know, I started suspecting I was pregant with Janica when I took a completely unexpected nap in the middle of the afternoon - for seemingly no reason. Given a choice, I think I would rather be ultra tired than ultra sick when pregnant. I'm glad you didn't keep this secret. It is too wonderful to keep to yourself!

Hey Lonny, how about a competition? I'll bet you know more cousin's names than I do. After all, more are closer to your age than to mine.

Lonny Bell said...

You're on! Who are you again?