Remember cracked wheat for breakfast, brewers yeast in your morning OJ (that was major incentive by the way to dash down at the first clang of the cowbell and drink my OJ BEFORE mom had a chance to put brewers yeast in it), TW3 (That Was The Week That Was) stew, soybean chili, soybean meatloaf, soybean peanut butter? Ahh, I'll never forget the chewy texture of beef tongue, that wonderful aroma and flavor of breaded liver and onions (aka salisbury steak). We lived on a farm with plenty of milk, but as the model for the churches "Provident Living" website, we had to mix powdered milk in with the fresh milk? The dinner table rules: "OK now, I'm putting the pancake batter on the griddle, so whoever says the prayer gets those pancakes if they are burned." or "If you spill on the table cloth (aka bedsheet) it's going on your bed tonight!" Well someone sent me a link to a video and it brought back a flood of memories I thought the rest of you might appreciate as well! Enjoy.
Monday, January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Aaaahh the good old days!! I actually have been able to successfully sneak a few healthy (food storage items) into our food that my kids have really enjoyed--they never even knew the difference!! Mom would be so proud!
I remember the Brewer's Yeast in the OJ. It never occurred to me to dash down for breakfast BEFORE it went in!?
I don't remember having to drink yeast-laced OJ. Did that phase out over time or something?
Awesome video.
BTW, my food storage mostly consists of MREs. Mmmmmm, can't wait to try them!
Yes well, the big brothers and sisters had to pave the way for our younger siblings. We wore mom and dad down, and you reaped the benefit!
You mean YOU wore Mom and Dad down. The rest of us were just along for the ride.
Do you remember when the missionaries were snowed in at Christmas time, and were helping us tie a quilt in the dining room? There was one 1" piece of yarn left over after the quilt was finished and Mom asked, "What shall we do with this piece of yarn?" knowing there had to be some use for it, and Elder Lewis said, "Save it. We'll put it in the soup!"
I don't understand. What was so bad about the Eisenhower Administration Peaches? I actually liked them a bit decomposed and slushy. We did find a bottle of apple cider that didn't quite seal all the way (this was discovered after consumption of course). Nothing like a drunk Mormon family for "entertainment".
My favorite was the oatmeal mush that looked like it could be used as brick mortar. I have since learned to enjoy oatmeal as long as it is soupy or baked.
Oh, and by the way, I remember the Brewer's Yeast in the OJ, too, but that was in Trumansburg. I don't think Mom gave it to us once we moved to Lansing.
Oh, and the tablecloth/bedsheet threat sounds like a viable one for my boys. What a great idea!
Post a Comment