To all my Children and Grandchildren,
For several weeks I have been composing a letter in my mind and now I’m ready to put it down in writing.
When I was in my late fifties and still working for Cornell University, all employees were given a questionnaire asking for our health status and health and safety practices. Our answers were compared to long term statistics and from that they were able to give us an estimate as to how long we might expect to live. The estimate for me was 83 years. I have now reached that milestone and am looking forward to many more years. Of course, none of us have a mileage warranty so we just do the best we can for as long as we can. I seem to have lost at least 3rd and 4th gear, maybe even 2nd because I’m a lot slower than I would like to be.
I don’t think stents were used at the time of that prediction and I now have two in my heart and one in my abdominal aorta which I believe have definitely extended my life. I also believe that my remarriage to Harriet has extended my life. She has been a loving and devoted companion and has brought much joy and fulfillment into my life. I really believe that had I remained a lonely widower, I would have withered up and died before now.
I was recently made aware that I had unknowingly and unintentionally caused hurt and resentment to one of my children. I have apologized and believe I have been forgiven. This made me wonder if there are other hurts and resentments out there that I should know about and make amends for. I am sorry for any hurt that I may have caused any of you. I’m probably not too different in wishing I could have the opportunity to start all over as a father with the additional knowledge and wisdom that I have gained..
All of you have been born in the New and Everlasting covenant of Marriage and therefore have the option of being members of an Eternal family. I don’t believe it is automatic but depends on desire and living for. The same attitudes we have here will rise with us in the Resurrection. For that reason I would like to iron out any problems that I can before I am called home. I can assure you all that I love each of you and want to spend Eternity with you.
With much Love, Dad and Grandpa
PS: We will be traveling to New York June 18 to June 24, which is over Father’s Day. In case any of you would like to contact us during that time, our cell phone number is 801-549-8201.
For several weeks I have been composing a letter in my mind and now I’m ready to put it down in writing.
When I was in my late fifties and still working for Cornell University, all employees were given a questionnaire asking for our health status and health and safety practices. Our answers were compared to long term statistics and from that they were able to give us an estimate as to how long we might expect to live. The estimate for me was 83 years. I have now reached that milestone and am looking forward to many more years. Of course, none of us have a mileage warranty so we just do the best we can for as long as we can. I seem to have lost at least 3rd and 4th gear, maybe even 2nd because I’m a lot slower than I would like to be.
I don’t think stents were used at the time of that prediction and I now have two in my heart and one in my abdominal aorta which I believe have definitely extended my life. I also believe that my remarriage to Harriet has extended my life. She has been a loving and devoted companion and has brought much joy and fulfillment into my life. I really believe that had I remained a lonely widower, I would have withered up and died before now.
I was recently made aware that I had unknowingly and unintentionally caused hurt and resentment to one of my children. I have apologized and believe I have been forgiven. This made me wonder if there are other hurts and resentments out there that I should know about and make amends for. I am sorry for any hurt that I may have caused any of you. I’m probably not too different in wishing I could have the opportunity to start all over as a father with the additional knowledge and wisdom that I have gained..
All of you have been born in the New and Everlasting covenant of Marriage and therefore have the option of being members of an Eternal family. I don’t believe it is automatic but depends on desire and living for. The same attitudes we have here will rise with us in the Resurrection. For that reason I would like to iron out any problems that I can before I am called home. I can assure you all that I love each of you and want to spend Eternity with you.
With much Love, Dad and Grandpa
PS: We will be traveling to New York June 18 to June 24, which is over Father’s Day. In case any of you would like to contact us during that time, our cell phone number is 801-549-8201.
4 comments:
Dad, I love you.
Dad, thanks for your love, concern and example. I love you very much. Ii think you'll be around for another ten years, at least I hope so!
Thank you Dad. Where are you travelling to in New York?
I love you Dad. I also admire and respect you. Thanks for being such a good example of humility, not to mention hard work and endurance.
Post a Comment