For her birthday this year and every year, Ladawn deserves a medal of honor, just for surviving. She had more hurdles to clear than any of the rest of us, right from the start. First, she was born two months early, and second, she suffered the loss of her sister of the womb. Then she had to stay in the Saginaw hospital all by her lonesome, not being able to be visited all that much by Mom and Dad who were all the way out in Merrill, Michigan, meeting the demands of family and the farm.
She was given to me for a birthday present because she came home from the hospital on my birthday, almost a month after she was born. With three sisters at home it was rare, if it ever happened, that I got to go all by myself with Mom and Dad in the car to anywhere. The trip to the hospital in Saginaw, to pick up Ladawn, may have been the first time. I was only five, so I didn't understand much when Mom explained to me that there had been two babies, but now there was only one. I've never thought, until just lately, that perhaps it would be in order to offer my condolences to Ladawn, as well as birthday wishes. It makes me cry now to think that I could have had two birthday presents, but one is not here.
When we got home, Mom gave her to me, first, to hold her. She was my only present that year. She was so tiny and looked so fragile, and I was so afraid that I would break her, that I gave her right back. It occurs to me now that she might have taken offense at that. I'm sorry Ladawn. If I had it to do over again, I would sit down on the couch and hold you, and hold you, and hold you.
Now I know why you have so fervently insisted on hugging me whenever I see you. I think you are determined to make me make it up to you. Someday I will.
Have a happy birthday!
Love,
Teddie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you Teddie for yet another wonderful story!
Post a Comment