Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Birthday to us!

I never regretted sharing a birthday with my Dad and 2 sisters. I always thought we were lucky because Mom always made us a special train cake. Dad's was the engine, Luella's was the caboose and Gayla and I had 2 cars in between. I also enjoyed the link my birthday gave me to those who share it with me. I always miss Gayla on May 9th. I wish I could include her in my round of Happy Birthday telephone calls. I think that is why I've usually gotten beat to the punch by Dad and Luella, because I am reluctant to face the reminder of Gayla's absence. I remember our picture in the paper and as a child, wondering why having a birthday was so notable. It never occurred to me that such a thing was out of the ordinary.

I've often wondered since then how, out of 12 months in the year, Mom managed to hit the May 9th mark (which happened to be her sweetheart's birthday) 3 times out of 12. Maybe trying to give Dad an extra special birthday present? Or herself an extra special Mother's Day present? Or maybe we all just liked the month of May to be born in and thought, "Heck, as long as we're going to be born in May, why not make it the 9th?" Besides, the 9th day of every month was always celebrated by Mom and Dad as the anniversary of their first date. And, wow! I'm the 9th child. Oh the numerology!

I love Luella's little face in this picture. Such a beautiful Mona Lisa smile.

So now I'm planning to be the first to wish Dad, Gayla and Luella a happy, healthy birthday. I've loved sharing it with you.

7 comments:

Noelle said...

I'll be the second. Happy birthday Dad, Gayla, Holly and Luella.

Luella said...

You beat me to it! Now please don't call at 12 a.m. : )

montebateman said...

Happy birthday to the four of you. I miss that train cake. It was fun to see all the creativity go into that cake. May 9th has always been a special day because it was all four of you celebrating on the same day and no one every made a big deal about having to share their birthday with the others.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dad, Gayla, Holly and Luella! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Malauna said...

Happy Birthday! Grandma always mentioned this important date in her journal - especially when Mother's Day also fell on May 9.

tammy said...

I think it would be so fun to have a birthday with everyone! It would always be a big party! Happy birthday to You Holly, Luella and Ted. I hope you all enjoyed your own day while thinking about the others and what they might be doing on this fun day! I love you all and hope it was a happy day!

Ladawn said...

This is a day late, but nevertheless;

Happy (belated) Birthday to Dad, Holly & Luella! (Luella, being "the last", at least you have the consolation of also being the YOUNGEST!)I thought of you all yesterday. Hope it was great.

Happy Mother's Day, love and thank you for who you are and what you do to all my sisters, sisters-in-law,nieces & Harriet.

Oh, the memories!