Gaby is doing well. She is in the Critical Care Nursery (CCN). She was in the NICU until Monday night, but since the NICU was getting rather crowded, and Gaby was the most stable baby there, she was moved to the CCN. She has jaundice, so she is receiving photo therapy. That means she lies on an ultraviolet light blanket. Jaundice is caused from an excess of bilirubin, which is a byproduct of the breakdown of red blood cells. It is the job of the liver to break down bilirubin, and Gaby's liver is a little too immature to do it on its own, so the light helps. Good eating and good pooping are important too. I can tell you from personal experience that she is pooping pretty well. During my two visits yesterday she pooped three times. I changed two of them. They were my first diaper changes for Gaby. Very memorable.
Here are some pictures of Gaby. I promise she does open her eyes sometimes.





They told me yesterday that Gaby's weight is starting back up. She got down to 5 lbs. even, but yesterday she gained a little over an ounce. Also her bilirubin count is starting to go down. It had gotten to 15, but yesterday it was down to 14.3. An acceptable amount is based on her size, but 15 was really high. So we are definitely moving in the right direction. I still don't know when she will be able to come home, but based on the hints I've gotten I think it will be 1 to 2 weeks more.
3 comments:
I like Gabi. So glad her jaundice is beginning to clear up. I hope she can come home soon. Love you, Noelle.
It's hard leaving a little one when you get to come home. You feel kind of empty but it will be nice to have your family all put back together! I am happy for you and Jeff. 2 beautiful baby girls.
I vote for Gabi. She is so cute!
Post a Comment