Wednesday, September 10, 2008

About Lamona

Mom recorded in my baby book that I learned early not to mess with her as per the sibling pecking order. I must have neglected to notice that she was just as big as me and twice as feisty.
When she and Faline and I sang in Sacrament meeting, when we were all still very young, and were basking in the praise given afterward, Lamona went so far as to keep track of the numbers. After the meeting she came up to Mom in the foyer and announced, "So far I got 5 complaints!"
I was protective of her on her first day of first grade as we mounted the school bus, feeling like a mother hen, worrying about how she would do, whether she would get lost, which was silly because she was way more self-assured than me.
We would go around together on the playground before school when I was in the fourth grade and she was in the third, and the kids would ask us if we were twins because we had the same hair, same eyes and were the same size.
I have her to thank for the memory of my most embarrassing moment. I had been obsessed with weighing the same as the cutest, most popular girl in the fourth grade--58 pounds. I weighed sixty, but that was unacceptable. Every morning I faithfully stood on the scales, and Lamona, standing by, kept vigilant track, sympathetic when the needle again recorded 60. On the morning I weighed one pound less than sixty she was jubilant for me and on the bus announced to her friend, Trixie, loud enough for everyone--including Floyd Kisser, the guy on whom I had a crush--to hear, "Guess what? Teddie only weighed 59 pounds today with just her underwear on!"

Hope you have a Happy Birthday today, Lamona!

5 comments:

Noelle said...

Happy birthday Lamona. Have a fantastic birthday.

Teddie, that's a hilarious story (about you weiging 59 lbs in your underwear). I am really enjoying reading your memories, especially of the older siblings from when they were just kids.

Anonymous said...

I was just going to write Happy Birthday to Lamona on a post, but you said it all! Happy Birthday Lamona! Teddie, your stories are very entertaining (as always!).

The Fieldings said...

I love to hear about this stuff. Very funny about the weigh-in.
Happy birthday Lamona.

Noelle said...

I will also add that if you are going to have a crush on a guy, pick a guy with the name of Kisser. That sounds about right.

Luella said...

Teddie, I absolutely love your stories! I would love to hear more!