Saturday, September 27, 2008

Memories of Gayla

I am so glad we have this blog! Thank you Monte! I love the fact that Rachelle is chronogically posting her memories of each member of our family. Thank you Rachelle!

Gayla has been on my mind a lot lately for some reason, and I have thought of posting my memories of her, too. I am so glad that she followed the prompting to move to New York so we(her younger sisters) could get to know her.

One of my first memories of Gayla is riding a pony with her at our house in Trumansburg. I also remember going with her to get her horse Venus. I think it was on my 9th birthday when she was in college that she called to wish me a happy birthday, and then gave Venus to me to keep. I was sooo happy! I loved Venus, and spent hours riding her and caring for her.

When our family went to Utah to attend General Conference, I believe that Gayla had married John at that time. She was very ill, and we had a family fast for her. From what I remember, she recovered completely and quickly.

Gayla always had a smile and a ready laugh. I have seen pictures of her being sad, but that's not the Gayla I remember. I used to love her telling me stories of the Three Little Pigs, and the Three Billy Goats Gruff.

She sang beautifully, too. Hearing her sing was like listening to an angel. I still hear her singing the descant to Silent Night, with her voice rising above the rest of the congregation. I could never sing it as well as she could, but I play the descant on my violin whenever I get the opportunity.

It was Gayla and her husband John who told us about girls having pink germs, and boys having blue germs. I still tell my boys about that!

Gayla was so excited to have Lonny. Her obstetrician told her that if she had a healthy baby, he would turn cartwheels down the hospital hallway. Well, she did, and he did! She sent us the cutest pictures of Lonny all the time! My favorite picture is the one with 1 year old Lonny standing in front of the bathroom mirror in his birthday suit. (sorry Lonny!) He was such a cute baby!

When Gayla and John moved to Elmira to be closer to us, I looked forward to the weekends when they would come to visit. Like Rachelle said, we used to stay up late into the night, talking, laughing, and reading sections of slut novels and making fun of them.

The night before Gayla passed away, she and John came to our house for dinner. Noelle, Rachelle, and I went to a basketball game at our local school. When we came home, Gayla was lying on the couch, not feeling well. She always loved having her feet rubbed with lotion, and I got to be the one to rub her feet that night.

The next morning I was supposed to audition for All-County chorus. I didn't know if I should go to the audition when Noelle came into Rachelle's and my room to tell us about Gayla. Mom and Dad said that it was up to me. I decided that Gayla would want me to go to the audition. It was so hard to sing that day! but I did, and I made it into the chorus.

I can't begin to tell you how many people in our community brought food and sent cards when they found out about Gayla. I was in the school Drama Club, and it was probably the best thing for me at that time. I never knew how many friends I had - they really got together and helped me through those tough months.

Rachelle, I read the end of your post and started to cry. I had the exact same dream about Gayla a few months after her death. We were at a big family party, and she was going around hugging everyone. I remember telling her how much I missed her. She laughed at me and said "What do you mean, silly? I'm here with you all the time!" I'm sure that she would love to able to post on this blog, and maybe that's why she's been in my thoughts lately.

Gayla, we'll always remember you with lots of love and laughter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some of my happiest memories were of that time when John, Gayla and Lonny moved to New York. Thanks for sharing your memories--I enjoy them so much!