Thursday, September 25, 2008

It has been awhile, but I'm back with more memories of my family (plus a little more)

It was Charlie's birthday a few weeks ago, so I'm putting a video of him on here (with Josh's help)...

Some of my favorite Charlie quotes over the years are:

"When the scriptures say 'and it came to pass', it means to turn the page."

"I'm not a whole five, 'cause I still feel four."

Mike frequently watches a movie or T.V. at night. One time Charlie followed him asking--"Dad, what are you going to watch?" Mike said, "Nothing." Charlie quickly responded, "what are you not gonna watch?"

Mike was pouring cereal for Josh and Dale and asked Charlie if he wanted some cereal for breakfast. Charlie said he wasn't having cereal for breakfast, he was having eggs, toast and sausage. Mike said, "oh yeah? Who is going to make all that for you?" Charlie said happily, "you are!"

Here are some of my memories of Gayla:

When I was little, she wrote me some letters (I still have them).

I remember feeling so excited about John, Gayla and Lonny moving to New York.

She was always so pretty and radiant.

After she moved to New York we had regular visits with her. One night she sat on the bed with Luella, my friend and I and read a harlequin romance novel out loud to us. She read it in such a funny way and we laughed and laughed.

I enjoyed listening to her play Fur Elise and Schmeterling on the piano.

One time when Gayla was at our house she said, "I'm starving!" Luella was fixing lunch and Noelle saw a prime opportunity to play a little joke on her. Gayla went upstairs to get something and upon her return, saw at her place, a tray piled high with spaghetti, a pitcher for a glass, a bread cutting knife, a ladle and a serving fork for eating utensils. She thought we were pretty funny.

I remember enjoying every minute I spent with her. She was so much fun and so nice.

I remember the night before she died, going into the bedroom where she was, to tell her that I loved her.

I remember Noelle coming into mine and Luella's room early in the morning to tell us that Gayla went to the hospital and that she didn't make it.

I remember all of us standing in the hallway with our arms around eachother and crying, feeling so much loss.

I remember John and Lonny coming to our house--I felt so sad for Lonny especially. John said that the reason she wanted to move back to New York was to get closer to her family and get to know her little sisters better. I'm thankful for the time I spent with her and I still miss her.

At her funeral (or at least right before), we thought that she didn't look like herself--so Ladawn curled her hair and put some makeup on her.

I loved hearing Monte and Ladawn sing "I Walked Today where Jesus Walked" at her funeral as they held hands.

When I was on my mission, I had a dream. Our whole family was gathered in a big room, where we were eating, talking and laughing. We were enjoying eachothers company. Gayla was there and gave each of us a hug. It was a very comforting dream.

6 comments:

Lonny Bell said...

When I was in high school, my English teacher gave us an assignment to write an experience that changed our lives. I wrote about the night my mom took a ride to the hospital and never came back. I received an "A" on my paper and my teacher was crying when she handed the paper back to me. At the time, it was a very hard thing for me to understand and cope with, but I feel that it was something that only strengthened me. Thanks for sharing that, Aunt Rachelle.

The Fieldings said...

I miss Gayla too. I'm glad to hear your thoughts about her, Rachelle. Lonny, I think your loss has been the greatest but you have done well in coping with that.

Happy Birthday, Charlie! You sure are handsome in that video.

Noelle said...

I love the video of the pictures of Charlie. He's got quite the muscles!

Thanks, Rachelle, for sharing your thoughts of Gayla. I remember her as someone who truly loved her little sisters. (I'm sure she loved her older sisters too.) She seemed to know just when to reach out to us.

Lonny, thanks for sharing your feelings about your Mom. She was (and is) very loved. I think about her and remember her all the time.

Teddie said...

Thanks for saying all of that Rachelle. I needed a good reason to have a good cry.

And Happy Birthday, Charlie. You sure are funny!

Luella said...

Rachelle,
Charlie seems so much like Michael! It's too bad they don't know each other better - actually, it oculd be dangerous if they did!xxoo

Anonymous said...

Lonny,
My heart aches when I think of some of the experiences you have been through. You are a really good guy--you have come through everything pretty okay. I would love to hear some of your memories of your Mom, if you don't mind sharing them.