Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!

Today is the day we recognize all those who have fought for our country. I always knew Dad was in World War II, and until a year or so ago, all I knew was that he was part of the Occupation Army in Japan.

I'd like to share a part of his life history for those of you who may not have read it. I found it very interesting, and I admire my father even more for his testimony and his example for me.

In his own words - "I was drafted into the Army in August 1944. I received my physical examination at Boise, Idaho, and inducted into the Army at Fort Douglas, near Salt Lake City, Utah. After a short period for clothing issue and orientation, I was sent to Camp Roberts, California, for Infantry Basic Training. This was located out in the desert midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles near a town named El Paso de Robles. It was just at the end of the hot summer season so it was a very forbidding place at first but at least the nights were cool. The training period was for 17 weeks but ours was cut to 15 because the Germans were breaking through our lines of defense in Belgium(known as the Belgiun Bulge) and replacements were urgently needed. Fortunately for me, I had been encouraged by my platoon commander, Lt. Edwards, to apply for Officers Candidate School while awaiting acceptance at O.C.S. It was only a very short time until we began getting reports that certain of our group had been killed in battle. I feel very fortunate that I was spared that ordeal."

So are we, Dad. Thank you for being a wonderful example for us and for serving our country. I love you!

I'd love to hear some of Kelly's experiences, too. I know he has served in Iraq, but I'm not sure how much he's allowed to share about it. I love you Kelly!

1 comment:

The Fieldings said...

Nice post, Luella. I enjoyed reading a little of Dad's history as a soldier. I, too, would like to hear more of Kelly's experiences.