Tony and I are teachers, as most of you know, which gives us lots of vacation time together as a family(that can be good or bad - it's mostly good, I think). We have been using our summer vacation time working on our gardens, growing and protecting our raspberry bushes from the local cardinals and catbirds, and trying to grow tomatoes in a teeny tiny patch of sun. Those of you who have visited us know that we get lots of shade from very tall trees on our property. It has been very rewarding work, and Nicholas and Michael have been learning the value of working and making an empty spot in a garden bed beautiful.
We have also been spending our summer going to the library, seeing "Wall-E"(I highly recommend it!) at the $4 all day Tuesday movie day, visiting local parks, and getting our pop-up trailer ready for inspection and camping.
Since I have been the Primary President these past 4 1/2 years, I have learned the value of the Scouting program. Nicholas completed all of his Cub Scout awards, up to and including the Arrow of Light award, and the Faith in God square knot award. I had very little to do with it - he read the books on his own and pushed his Cubmasters to get him his awards. I say I learned the value of it, because it gave Nicholas goals that he knew he could reach, and he has become a natural leader because of it. I am so proud of him! Michael is now following in Nicholas' footsteps and will be earning the first award for Cub scouts(the Bobcat).
Nicholas is now getting ready to go to Boy Scout camp for the first time this summer. We just came back from the orientation meeting where he got to know the boys in his patrol, and tried to learn how to accept someone else's leadership! He is very excited to go away on his own for five days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Luella, This blogging thing was a good idea. We'll have to make sure Noelle gets kudos for that idea. Thanks for posting so quickly.
Now that I have a garden, I really enjoy the reward of growing things. That being said, I am glad that I do not depend completely on my garden to feed me! I love it as a hobby, not so much as a job.
Luella, I just looked at all the blogger profiles and I believe there is a discrepancy on yours, as in, you need to change your gender. Hope you find this comment before anybody else does.
Post a Comment