I believe all people who are either a direct descendant or related by marriage to a direct descendant ought to be included in this blog thing. It only makes sense to me that as individual family members are healing from the pain of exclusion, there would be a desire to include rather than continue to exclude. It is probably no surprise to any of us that there are people in the "next generation," i.e. children of siblings, who have been excluded and have felt that pain of exclusion. To use Teddie's train metaphor, they weren't invited on the train, they were born or adopted on the train - no choices for them. We love each of them. Let's include them.
If Teddie wants to include Rob Weenig (who is a total stranger to me btw), I say OK. That would certainly open the door to include Glen Earl and all other spouses. I do believe Glen Earl is very much a member of the family and ought to be included. He lived with the family more than 5 years in both Trumansburg and Lansing and in very close proximity in Aurora. He has been in the family longer than Rachelle and almost as long as Noelle. Many times he milked the cow, worked in the beet field, helped Dad prepare and harvest the garden, and other chores. He shared Mom's love of horses, and rode the horse and cared for it. He participated in the Pageant with the family. After Mom and Dad came home from their mission in Costa Rica, Mom was terrified about spending the winter in a cold and drafty house. Twice he did what a son would do and traveled back from Utah to help Dad finish their log home and get insulation and dry wall in so they could live there more comfortably in the winter. In fact, in Mom's view, he helped them so much that she gave to him her prized Knabe grand piano. He also helped them move from New York to Utah and even drove the big truck. So, though he wasn't "born" a Bateman, he has earned his place in the family. Let's include ALL the spouses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
To me, Glen is such a member of the family that I automatically use his first and middle name. I used to think his name was Glenearl. I have known him as long as I have known you, Faline (basically).
BTW, I vote with you to be inclusive with this blog. Especially open up the comment area to everyone.
Glen Earl is a great guy! I have always known him and have always liked him.
I'm a little confused. Elder Weening was on his mission from the spring of 1971-1973, during which time we (you) lived at the house in Trumansburg and then in Lansing. He was there at the same time, as often as he could be, so I thought you would have made his acquaintance.
I remember Elder Weenig as the greenie we gave a hard time pretending we were a hostile investigator family (weren't we awful?) I think we almost made him cry.
I am very grateful for GlenEarl's presence in the family and don't feel we hear enough from him. I vote he stays.
Holly, actually that was Elder Asey, who incidentally is now the CEO of Tahitian Noni! I guess we didn't traumatize him too much by our "Catholic Family" stunt.
Post a Comment