We love going to the town parades on as many holidays as we can. Apparently they don't even come close to comparing with Utah parades, but they're still a lot of fun! A few years ago, we went to the Memorial Day parade, and saw the Daughters of the American Revolution float. Tony jokingly said to me, "you're family has been in the country long enough that you must be able to belong to DAR". Well, that's all I needed to get started on a research project that has taken me three years. I know that so many family members have completed our family history, but it is a constant gathering of information and putting it all in one place that is the challenge.

So anyway, I looked up names of family members on the LDS family history website, and I found that Samuel Allen(1756-1841)(our ancestor on Dad's side) seemed to have lived at a time that corresponded with the Revolutionary War. I then researched his name on the Daughters of the American Revolution website, and received confirmation that yes, he did fight in the Revolutionary War. Once I prove my ancestry, I will be eligible to join! Once I am proven eligible, the rest of you will only need to prove your relationship with me in order to join(if you are interested). I will keep you posted on what happens from here. At some point, I will share with you a part of Samuel Allen's story. It has been a fascinating research project!
I have posted a picture of his headstone located in Pulaki County, Kentucky.
So anyway, I looked up names of family members on the LDS family history website, and I found that Samuel Allen(1756-1841)(our ancestor on Dad's side) seemed to have lived at a time that corresponded with the Revolutionary War. I then researched his name on the Daughters of the American Revolution website, and received confirmation that yes, he did fight in the Revolutionary War. Once I prove my ancestry, I will be eligible to join! Once I am proven eligible, the rest of you will only need to prove your relationship with me in order to join(if you are interested). I will keep you posted on what happens from here. At some point, I will share with you a part of Samuel Allen's story. It has been a fascinating research project!
6 comments:
According to Wikipedia, the name of the county in which your ancestor is buried is actually spelled "Pulaski". The county seat is the city of Somerset. I spend a good deal of time in KY due to my work, and find it interesting that his headstone is there. Makes me curious about the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. Anyway, I think it's really "far out" that your family is related to Samuel Allen, who fought for our indpendence in the Revolutionary War. I'm going to have to check and see if I have any relatives that I can trace back as you have done, Luella. Thanks for the info.
Wow, I can't wait to be able to join the Daughters of the American Revolution! Seriously though, it's good to know we are descended through a line of patriots and maker of a pretty good ale (from what I understand!).
OK, I take back the part about the ale, I was just informed that's Samuel Adams, not Allen.
Elder Weenig,
What brings you to KY? I live here in the bluegrass state. If you ever get to Louisville, you should look me up.
Hey Luella, I am definitely interested in joining and also in learning more about Dad's ancestry. Let me know when you're signed so I can do the same.
Post a Comment